Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Red Rock Relay

Most people who know me, know that I have a crazy passion for running. The last couple months have been a little rough on me due to some "old lady" problems. My knee and foot have been annoyingly bugging me! I have rested (sort of) , iced, massaged, stretched, and taken my fair share of Advil (apologies to my kidneys), and to no avail they have persistently bugged! It's hard to admit that I am starting to "age". But when my beautiful friend Sierra asked me to be part of a relay team, how was I supposed to say no?
The relay started this last Friday morning. There were twelve of us on the "Iron and Whine" team. It consisted of six women and six men. We met each other for the first time on Thursday night before the race. The race started in Brian head and ended at a school out by Tuachan. The race was a 187 miles total starting and 8,000 ft in elevation. We had three legs all in a variety of length and difficulty. During the relay there were multiple moments of exhaustion, sleep deprivation, and also mental exhaustion, but we all continued to push through our legs so that we could finish. Not to mention plenty of the girls had to run through rain, hail, lightning, wind, and flash floods. But everyone did such a great job! We made new friends, and pushed ourselves beyond a point we thought we could go. What a rewarding experience! I loved every minute of it. Although, it is easier to say that now that we are finished. After doing this race, I did realize I am not in as good of shape as I thought I was. Some of which can be attributed to nursing my wounds, but the rest of it is just to lack of training. I finished on Saturday with new goals for my training and I am so excited to start training harder and differently! Now if I could finally talk Kyle into running with me............. :)













8 comments:

  1. Hey Tan!

    I am so glad that you have a blog!!! Great job on the relay! CRAZY!! Kurt is running the Valley of Fire relay in October. Hopefully he makes it:)

    Let me know next time you come up- we would love to see ya!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. My BIL did that race and loved it. He said that we have to do it next year.. and I kind of want to. But if you are supposedly "not as in shape as you thought"... then I really am not in shape at all! I better get working! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tana! I just ran across your blog from Tara's and you've inspired me! I've been wanting to get into running again. (I had a baby in May and I've been slacking off). Running is the best. Thanks so much for giving me the push I needed to get back in shape. Oh and happy blogging. Our blog is private, but if you'd like an invite let me know. britney_jolley23@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tana!!

    Thanks for your sweet comment! I am so glad to see you have a blog! I think it's great you are a runner! Congrats on finishing your last race! Oh, and congrats on getting married too! You guys make a very cute couple!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING! Seriously! I am so jealous of you and your "out of shape" body! Wish I would've been home to watch your run through my slummy neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I just came across your blog. Glad I did maybe we can keep in contact with eachother. I have set ours to private so if you want to view ours email me at barn.carly@hotmail.com. i will send you an invite.
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm tired and exhausted just reading about your run! that's how out of shape I am, and how long it's been since I went running. Welcome to the "old lady" pains, that's what's kept me from running. Poor excuse I know~~ Glad you finished and had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tana! Thanks so much for getting me in wednesday! You are so good! You know your stuff! You get the best pictures! I sure love ya! and good job on the relay! You are amazing girl!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete